Top 25 Reasons to Never Leave Mount Holyoke
Mount Holyoke College claims on their website that since Mount Holyoke is “the oldest institution of higher learning for women, it’s only fitting to have some treasured traditions. As a student, you’ll quickly discover that the College’s traditions bring the community closer together and create some of your most memorable Mount Holyoke moments.” Now, as a graduating senior, leaving the wonderful world of Mount Holyoke in just about two weeks, I have to agree that Mount Holyoke and its traditions have created unforgettable moments. This nostalgic senior would like to share the top 25 things that she’ll miss about this community.
1) Convocation—class colors, speeches, screaming, and fun
2) M&Cs (Milk & Cookies)—no one is too old for snack time
3) Chef Jeff cookies—you will never find a tastier cookie
4) Elfing—gifts outside your door each morning would brighten anyone’s day
5) Dis-Orientation—Screaming the anti-alma mater outside the President’s house
6) Mountain Day—no school and ice cream on a mountain? Why isn’t this a national holiday?
7) The Org Fair—finding the club or sport in which you truly belong while getting free candy
8) Walks around Upper and Lower Lakes—beauty and serenity
9) The autumn foliage—it’s more beautiful here than anywhere else (and that’s coming from a New Englander!)
10) Vegas Night—bring it back, please. MoHos need at least one good party.
11) Icecappella—who doesn’t love a cappella?
12) Candy from ResLife—during finals or Halloween, a MoHo needs her candy
13) J-Term—Take classes, do research, or just hang out for a low-key break
14) Snow Days—sledding down the amphitheatre on lunch trays
15) Picnicking or sunning on Skinner Green—it must be spring!
16) Pangy Day—food, crafts, mega-free-bin, bunnies, and the maypole
17) Strawberries & Champagne—congratulations on graduation, now let’s get tipsy!
18) Friends live a foot away—running to their room for emergency fashion advice or story time
19) The smiling faces of dining services workers—they are ALL so friendly, but we love Helena (Blanchard) & John (Rockies)
20) The physical education requirement—college credit for dog-walking, ballroom dancing, scuba-diving, and ping-pong
21) Connections with Advisors—creating a strong bond with a leader in your field
22) Convenience—everything is in walking distance: food, gym facilities, the library, classes
23) PVTA—we hate it, but we love it–Outfit for the evening: $50; Cost for drinks at the bar: $25; Running after the PVTA in heels for a chance to enter civilization: PRICELESS
24) Brunch—Belgium waffles, omelets, crepes, home fries, bacon, and eggs every Sunday
25) And most importantly, the Community—wonderful and kind people that help each other move into the dorms, smile at everyone on campus (even strangers), write beautiful notes on the Mount Holyoke Compliments page, and share our love of Mount Holyoke College.
What will you miss most about Mount Holyoke after you graduate?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent Mount Holyoke News Articles
RECENT MOUNT HOLYOKE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
MOST POPULAR MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeBoston CollegeBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityHarvard UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyNortheastern UniversityTufts UniversityClark UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonWorcester State CollegeBentley CollegeWheaton CollegeMount Holyoke CollegeLesley UniversityHolyoke Community CollegeHampshire CollegeSuffolk UniversityWestfield State CollegeUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthWilliams CollegeAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAnna Maria CollegeAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBay Path CollegeBecker CollegeBerklee College of MusicBoston Architectural CollegeBridgewater State CollegeCambridge CollegeElms CollegeCollege of the Holy CrossCurry CollegeDean CollegeEastern Nazarene CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEndicott CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryLasell CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMerrimack CollegeMount Ida CollegeNew England School of LawNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeRegis CollegeSalem State CollegeSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSpringfield CollegeStonehill CollegeThe New England Institute of ArtUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheelock CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteAndover Newton Theological School
- By State
- By City