Three Things You Must Do Before You Graduate
There are a lot of things to do in college. There are the ubiquitous parties. There are picnics, sports games, clubs, and live music events. While the variety is great and it is extremely exiting to be part of such a vibrant community, choosing which events to attend in college can sometimes be daunting. Demands on your time come from all sides: you have to attend classes, write papers, study for exams, and keep up with your readings. Somewhere in there you have to squeeze in three meals a day and a moderate amount of exercise, too. Don’t make the mistake of trying to do everything; you will only overwhelm yourself. It really is okay if you don’t go to every event. Still, there are some events that you should experience at least once before you graduate.
Go to a lecture. No, not one of the lectures on your syllabus (you should be attending those anyway)! Attend a talk given by a speaker that your school has invited to campus. It doesn’t have to be on topic that you specialize in. You can attend a talk about a subject that you know absolutely nothing about! All that matters is that the topic interests you. Colleges often recruit very influential and sometimes rather famous speakers. Take the opportunity to hear an expert speak about their field! Did I mention these events are almost always free?
Take part in a tradition that’s unique to your school. Most colleges have special traditions that have a unique and special meaning. Schools that have been around for longer than a handful of decades may even have multiple traditions. You don’t have to participate in every single one, or participate in the event every single year. But do take part in one at least once. It’s a way of affirming your identity as part of the community and an opportunity to participate in your college’s rich history. It’s also likely to be a lot of fun!
Attend an event that showcases live, local music. Nearly every college will sponsor at least one musical event a year. Take the opportunity to see live, local talent performing. Often, the featured performers are your peers, and it’s fun to cheer them on. Regardless, experiencing live music is very rewarding and fun. Colleges don’t usually charge outrageous ticket prices, especially if the performers are lesser-known, local treasures. Attending a music event is a fun activity to do with friends or by yourself, and who knows? Maybe one of the acts will get famous someday, and you can say you saw them live before they hit it big!
These are just some of the events that I think are important elements of the college experience. But there really is no correct way to experience college. In fact, learning to prioritize and make decisions about what matters most to you is one of the most important and useful lessons you can learn in college. You control your college experience. By tailoring it to your personality, priorities, and needs, you can enjoy being a student without feeling overwhelmed or worrying that you’re missing out.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent Mount Holyoke News Articles
RECENT MOUNT HOLYOKE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
- Martin Luther King Jr. and His Legacy
- What Do Students Look for in a Job Environment?
- What Do Students Expect Out of Property Managers?
- Types of Shows/Events You Should Go to as a College Student
- Tallahassee has its own "Dakota Access pipeline"
- What Are You Reading?
- Drink Coffee Like A Tallahassee Local: 8 Coffee Shops You Can’t Miss
MOST POPULAR MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeBoston CollegeBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityHarvard UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyNortheastern UniversityTufts UniversityClark UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonWorcester State CollegeBentley CollegeWheaton CollegeMount Holyoke CollegeLesley UniversityHolyoke Community CollegeHampshire CollegeSuffolk UniversityWestfield State CollegeUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthWilliams CollegeAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAnna Maria CollegeAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBay Path CollegeBecker CollegeBerklee College of MusicBoston Architectural CollegeBridgewater State CollegeCambridge CollegeElms CollegeCollege of the Holy CrossCurry CollegeDean CollegeEastern Nazarene CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEndicott CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryLasell CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMerrimack CollegeMount Ida CollegeNew England School of LawNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeRegis CollegeSalem State CollegeSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSpringfield CollegeStonehill CollegeThe New England Institute of ArtUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheelock CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteAndover Newton Theological SchoolBenjamin Franklin Institute of TechnologyBerkshire Community College Bristol Community College Bunker Hill Community College Cape Cod Community CollegeGreenfield Community College Massachusetts Bay Community CollegeMassasoit Community College Middlesex Community College (MA)Mount Wachusett Community CollegeNorth Shore Community College Northern Essex Community CollegeQuinsigamond Community College Springfield Technical Community CollegeAilano School of CosmetologyAlexander AcademyAssabet Valley Regional Technical SchoolBancroft School of Massage TherapyBay State School of TechnologyBentley UniversityBlackstone Valley Vocational Regional School DistrictBlue Hills Regional Technical SchoolBoston Baptist CollegeBoston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis IncBranford Hall Career Institute-Springfield CampusCatherine Hinds Institute of EstheticsCharles H McCann Technical SchoolConway School of Landscape DesignCortiva Institute-BostonDiGrigoli School of CosmetologyDiman Regional Technical InstituteEINE IncEmpire Beauty School-BostonEmpire Beauty School-FraminghamEmpire Beauty School-HyannisEmpire Beauty School-LowellEmpire Beauty School-MaldenEpiscopal Divinity SchoolEverest Institute-BrightonEverest Institute-ChelseaFINE Mortuary CollegeFranklin W Olin College of EngineeringGreater Lowell Technical SchoolHallmark Institute of PhotographyHellenic College-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of TheologyHenris School of Hair DesignHult International Business SchoolITT Technical Institute-NorwoodITT Technical Institute-WilmingtonJolie Hair and Beauty Academy-LudlowJupiter Beauty AcademyLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-BrocktonLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-New BedfordLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-CambridgeLincoln Technical Institute-BrocktonLincoln Technical Institute-SomervilleLowell Academy Hairstyling InstituteMansfield Beauty Schools-QuincyMansfield Beauty Schools-SpringfieldMarinello School of Beauty-NorthamptonMassachusetts General Hospital Dietetic InternshipMassachusetts School of LawMedical Professional InstituteMGH Institute of Health ProfessionsMildred Elley-Pittsfield CampusMillennium Training InstituteMontserrat College of ArtMotoring Technical Training InstituteNational Aviation Academy of New EnglandNational Graduate School of Quality ManagementNew England College of Business and FinanceNew England School of AcupunctureNew England Tractor Trailer Training School of MassachusettsNorth Bennet Street SchoolNorthpoint Bible CollegePope St John XXIII National SeminaryPorter and Chester Institute of CantonPorter and Chester Institute of ChicopeePorter and Chester Institute of WestboroughPorter and Chester Institute of WoburnPortfolio Center - WalthamRob Roy Academy-Fall RiverRob Roy Academy-TauntonSalter College-ChicopeeSalter College-West BoylstonSalter School-New BedfordSchool of the Museum of Fine Arts-BostonShawsheen Valley Regional Vocational Technical SchoolSignature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of NursingSoutheastern Technical InstituteSouthern Worcester County Regional Voc School DistrictSpa Tech Institute-IpswichSpa Tech Institute-PlymouthThe New England Conservatory of MusicToni & Guy Hairdressing Academy-WorcesterUniversity of Phoenix-MassachusettsUrban College of Boston
- By State
- By City