Am I “Too Woman” for Feminism? Sometimes I Wonder...
For my column last week, I wanted to use a photo of myself that was ultra feminine and sexy, for rebuttal purposes. But that got me thinking about femininity and feminism. I have been a feminine person all of my life. In fact, I wish I had adult-sized versions of some of my childhood pink dresses. Speaking of childhood; a girlhood obsession with Barbies has lead me to a current obsession with fashion, and I proudly have every issue of Cosmo and Glamour produced in the last year archived on my bookshelf. I own pink-and cheetah print luggage, and I have more clothes in my dorm room than any college student should. I wear a short skirt almost every day, I cannot go into a drugstore without cruising the beauty aisle, I am currently sporting a faux-blonde hairstyle, and if I had to do the math, I have probably spent a year of my life doing my hair. In short, my name is Justine, and I’m feminine.
However, sometimes I feel like my ultra feminine presentation does not match my identity as a strong feminist. As a feminist, I know that my very feminine appearance fits perfectly with social-constructs that determine what a woman should look like. When I find myself being looked at through the “male gaze,” I’m pretty sure they like what they see. As a feminist, I also know that magazines like Cosmo and Glamour present information almost exclusively for cis-gendered, straight women. I also know that my decision to wear things like short skirts and makeup opens me up to critics who think that I dress the way I do to “please men.” At Mount Holyoke, I’ve certainly had my fair share of criticism.
I love Mount Holyoke because it’s a place where we can have discussions about things like gender and sexuality and their place in our society. However, my normative presentation often makes me an “odd duck” when I express my views on gender and sexuality. People are surprised that I embrace feminist assertions like the social construction of gender and sexuality. I am a person of overwhelming privilege because my gender presentation and sexuality are considered “normal” and “acceptable” in even the most conservative of western societies. But that doesn’t mean that I don’t see problems like that one gender presentation or sexual identity is considered “better” than another. Perhaps the most difficult part of being both very feminine and very feminist is when people are surprised that I’m a good student. Since I’ve been at college, it has happened more than once. As a feminist, it makes me so angry that people would assume that femininity cannot equal intellect. An anonymous person once wrote to me on the Mount Holyoke Compliments page, and they mentioned that they know that has been a difficult part of my college experience.
Sometimes though, I do manage to stop wrestling with my feminine/feminist identity. I remind myself that while Cosmo is a largely heteronormative magazine, it works to fight the issue of campus rape, quite the feminist cause. I browse the feminist tag on tumblr, and remember that there are feminists out there of all different identities. And I remember that my own personal interpretation of feminism is that all people, of all different sexual identities and gender presentations and races, and religions and everything, should have the ability to be themselves, regardless of societal constructions.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Politics Articles
Recent Mount Holyoke News Articles
RECENT MOUNT HOLYOKE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
- Reasons to Look Forward to Fall Semester at FSU
- Negative Body Image
- Thank You Notes And Their Importance
- 8 Things To Bring To The Next Music Festival
- 20 Difficult Things 20-Somethings Must Learn In Their Twenties
- Apple Is Making A Comeback For 2016: WWDC 2016
- 6 Ways To Drive Traffic To Your Apartment Listing
MOST POPULAR MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeBoston CollegeBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityHarvard UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyNortheastern UniversityTufts UniversityClark UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonWorcester State CollegeBentley CollegeWheaton CollegeMount Holyoke CollegeLesley UniversityHolyoke Community CollegeHampshire CollegeSuffolk UniversityWestfield State CollegeUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthWilliams CollegeAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAnna Maria CollegeAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBay Path CollegeBecker CollegeBerklee College of MusicBoston Architectural CollegeBridgewater State CollegeCambridge CollegeElms CollegeCollege of the Holy CrossCurry CollegeDean CollegeEastern Nazarene CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEndicott CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryLasell CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMerrimack CollegeMount Ida CollegeNew England School of LawNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeRegis CollegeSalem State CollegeSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSpringfield CollegeStonehill CollegeThe New England Institute of ArtUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheelock CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteAndover Newton Theological SchoolBenjamin Franklin Institute of TechnologyBerkshire Community College Bristol Community College Bunker Hill Community College Cape Cod Community CollegeGreenfield Community College Massachusetts Bay Community CollegeMassasoit Community College Middlesex Community College (MA)Mount Wachusett Community CollegeNorth Shore Community College Northern Essex Community CollegeQuinsigamond Community College Springfield Technical Community CollegeAilano School of CosmetologyAlexander AcademyAssabet Valley Regional Technical SchoolBancroft School of Massage TherapyBay State School of TechnologyBentley UniversityBlackstone Valley Vocational Regional School DistrictBlue Hills Regional Technical SchoolBoston Baptist CollegeBoston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis IncBranford Hall Career Institute-Springfield CampusCatherine Hinds Institute of EstheticsCharles H McCann Technical SchoolConway School of Landscape DesignCortiva Institute-BostonDiGrigoli School of CosmetologyDiman Regional Technical InstituteEINE IncEmpire Beauty School-BostonEmpire Beauty School-FraminghamEmpire Beauty School-HyannisEmpire Beauty School-LowellEmpire Beauty School-MaldenEpiscopal Divinity SchoolEverest Institute-BrightonEverest Institute-ChelseaFINE Mortuary CollegeFranklin W Olin College of EngineeringGreater Lowell Technical SchoolHallmark Institute of PhotographyHellenic College-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of TheologyHenris School of Hair DesignHult International Business SchoolITT Technical Institute-NorwoodITT Technical Institute-WilmingtonJolie Hair and Beauty Academy-LudlowJupiter Beauty AcademyLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-BrocktonLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-New BedfordLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-CambridgeLincoln Technical Institute-BrocktonLincoln Technical Institute-SomervilleLowell Academy Hairstyling InstituteMansfield Beauty Schools-QuincyMansfield Beauty Schools-SpringfieldMarinello School of Beauty-NorthamptonMassachusetts General Hospital Dietetic InternshipMassachusetts School of LawMedical Professional InstituteMGH Institute of Health ProfessionsMildred Elley-Pittsfield CampusMillennium Training InstituteMontserrat College of ArtMotoring Technical Training InstituteNational Aviation Academy of New EnglandNational Graduate School of Quality ManagementNew England College of Business and FinanceNew England School of AcupunctureNew England Tractor Trailer Training School of MassachusettsNorth Bennet Street SchoolNorthpoint Bible CollegePope St John XXIII National SeminaryPorter and Chester Institute of CantonPorter and Chester Institute of ChicopeePorter and Chester Institute of WestboroughPorter and Chester Institute of WoburnPortfolio Center - WalthamRob Roy Academy-Fall RiverRob Roy Academy-TauntonSalter College-ChicopeeSalter College-West BoylstonSalter School-New BedfordSchool of the Museum of Fine Arts-BostonShawsheen Valley Regional Vocational Technical SchoolSignature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of NursingSoutheastern Technical InstituteSouthern Worcester County Regional Voc School DistrictSpa Tech Institute-IpswichSpa Tech Institute-PlymouthThe New England Conservatory of MusicToni & Guy Hairdressing Academy-WorcesterUniversity of Phoenix-MassachusettsUrban College of Boston
- By State
- By City