South Hadley Landfill Rated Most Polluted in New England
Living on a campus as beautiful as Mount Holyoke really makes one wonder: Why can’t the rest of the world be as green and picturesque as South Hadley? Mount Holyoke students and staff alike enjoy going on long walks around the lakes and attempt to capture the beauty of our aging autumn trees in their art.
It’s a wonderful world out here in the clean, quaint town of South Hadley MA. Or so we think…
Every year, this organization publishes the Dirty Dozen Awards where the landfills that have failed to acknowledge their pollution problems are put on the list. These landfills cause serious risk to the environment as well as the community’s well-being and the list is meant to provoke action from the government and community.
Although South Hadley’s landfill, operated by Advanced Disposal Services, is a mere three miles from the college, there is little knowledge about this issue. According to WWLP-22News, there have been over 75 odor complaints and the operators have been fined multiple times for environmental violations. In addition, there have been protests against a landfill expansion because the sound, smell and dust is already beginning to impact the lives of South Hadley’s residents.
The lack of involvement from the Mount Holyoke community comes as a great surprise since the college prides itself teaching students to become aware of social and environmental issues and encourages participation in community-based activism. In fact, students are encouraged to take Community-Based Learning (CBL) classes that allow students to connect their academic work to projects enabling social change. Additionally, there are several environmental organizations on campus from student-run committees such as Eco-Reps and Environmental Action Coalition to national educational movements like Think Outside the Bottle.
This shows that there is scope for dialogue and action towards a less polluted landfill in South Hadley. The students of Mount Holyoke need an awakening like the Dirty Dozen Awards to help them realize that there is a lot of work to be done in our college community before we can go out into the real world and make a difference.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent Mount Holyoke News Articles
RECENT MOUNT HOLYOKE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
- 10 Best Moments of Pride NYC 2015
- Charlie Hebdo: The Enemy Within?
- How To Build, Develop, And Maintain Relationships With College...
- "Dope" Movie is More Than a Coming of Age Story
- Same Sex Marriage is Legal: What Now?
- An FSU Perspective: SCOTUS Ruling on Marriage Equality
- Big Steps for the LGBTQ Community
MOST POPULAR MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeBoston CollegeBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityHarvard UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyNortheastern UniversityTufts UniversityClark UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonWorcester State CollegeBentley CollegeWheaton CollegeMount Holyoke CollegeLesley UniversityHolyoke Community CollegeHampshire CollegeSuffolk UniversityWestfield State CollegeUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthWilliams CollegeAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAnna Maria CollegeAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBay Path CollegeBecker CollegeBerklee College of MusicBoston Architectural CollegeBridgewater State CollegeCambridge CollegeElms CollegeCollege of the Holy CrossCurry CollegeDean CollegeEastern Nazarene CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEndicott CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryLasell CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMerrimack CollegeMount Ida CollegeNew England School of LawNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeRegis CollegeSalem State CollegeSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSpringfield CollegeStonehill CollegeThe New England Institute of ArtUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheelock CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteAndover Newton Theological School
- By State
- By City