21 Sober Things to Do on Your 21st Birthday
Friday is my 21st birthday, and just like everyone else, I have been waiting for this day with great anticipation for a very long time. But a major difference between me and most 21 year olds to be? I don’t drink. I am one college student of the small 20% of students who don’t drink. Most students don’t understand me when they offer me a beer and I reply, “No thanks, I don’t drink.” They think they must have heard wrong. In order to stop the constant questions and peer pressure I would often bring a bottle full of water with me to parties which people assumed was Vodka (I was a champ when it came to taking shots!). Or I would tell people I was allergic, to which the common reply was “Damn that sucks!” Or I would tell them that I was the designated driver that night (which I usually was). But this week being my 21st birthday, it will be much more difficult to use any of my general excuses. The truth is, I just don’t like it—it tastes like rubbing alcohol, it gives me a headache, and I don’t like feeling dizzy and nauseated when I’m just sitting. So, I’ve decided to compile a list of 21 sober things I can do on my 21st birthday and still have just as much fun as everyone else (maybe more because I won’t have my head in the toilet bowl all night long). So, if you are another non-drinker, or maybe just in the midst of your sports season as your 21st birthday rolls around, here are some things that you can do and still have a TON of fun!
2) Go to a Bar/Club. Yes, this article is about sober things, but you don’t have to drink! It’s the thrill that you can show your ID and enter the bar/club. Go with some friends who understand that you don’t want to/can’t drink and just hang out, meet new people, and dance!
3) Have a Mocktail Party. Invite all your friends and make fun fruity non-alcoholic drinks like virgin strawberry daiquiris and piña coladas. Crystal light now sells mocktail mixes—just add water to get the party started!
4) Play Drinking Games. You don’t have to drink to find drinking games fun. Get everyone a bottle of water, or use your mocktails from the party, and learn about each other through games like ‘Never Have I Ever’ or just get competitive with Beer Pong/Beirut or Kings.
5) Be a Party People Watcher. I have had fun at many parties people watching and seeing how all of the drunk people make complete fools of themselves. Bring your camera and take lots of pictures and videos to post on facebook the next day. Your friends will love you for it!
6) Go on a Road Trip. Mom can’t really stop you now, so if there is somewhere you want to go, then go! You can even rent a car from Hertz because they have just removed their under 25 young renters fee, so it is even more reasonably priced!
7) Rent a Hotel Room. Typically, many hotels will have an age requirement of 21 to book with them, especially many nicer, upscale hotels. Get together three or four friends and have a sleepover in a new destination you want to explore!
9) Buy Yourself a New Toy. Since you aren’t spending upwards of $10 per drink, use that extra money to buy yourself something fun, like a new outfit or gadget.
10) Have Your Friends Buy You a New Toy. Since your friends won’t have to be buying you drinks all night, ask them to chip in their money for something that you really want instead.
11) Supervise a Learner Driver. You are now old enough to sit in the car with a learning driver, so go ahead, and teach them how follow ALL of the rules of the road, just like you…
12) Go Sky-Diving. Your friends may think you aren’t fun if you don’t drink, but show them how you are actually much more fun and braver than they are by going sky-diving. You can always check Livingsocial and Groupon for great deals!
13) Go White Water Rafting. If sky-diving is a little too intense for you, you could try white-water rafting. All your friends will be jealous that all they did was go to a bar on their 21st.
14) Get High on a Hot-Air Balloon Ride. Not even alcohol can get you as high as a hot-air balloon ride!
15) Make a Movie about Turning 21. I was going to say watch a movie about turning 21, but I honestly cannot think of or find any that exist. If you know any, suggest them in the comments below, but otherwise, make your own! Use your friends to record what a 21st birthday should look like (drinking or not!). You can use idea number four on this list for inspiration.
16) Make a Photo Book of Your Life so Far. Turning 21 is a huge milestone. You have lived for over two decades, graduated high school, and you’re most likely about to graduate college. You will always want to remember when you were able to see your hot self in the mirror without putting on your glasses (sadly my vision prevents me from doing that unless I’m an inch away from the mirror), but remember the best years of your life by using shutterfly or snapfish to make a photo book of your life so far.
17) Write a Story. You have now lived long enough to have had real meaningful experiences. Share your wisdom with the rest of the world in an article, a blog, or even just a word document that you share with family and friends because they might actually learn something from you for a change.
18) Reinvent Yourself. If you want a new look or wardrobe, this is the time. In two years or less you will be in the “real” world with a “real” job and a “real” life. You will be meeting new people and really learning what you can achieve, so make your look reflect how you feel as this new “real” person.
19) Redesign Your Room. With your new look, you need a space that also reflects this new you. Paint your walls at home, buy new furniture, or simply buy new posters or pictures.
20) Eat Lots of Cake. Since you won’t be consuming upwards of 1000 calories from drinking, you can eat as much cake and ice cream as you want. Yay for yummy cake instead of alcohol!
21) Enjoy Your Day. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad or not normal because you don’t drink. It’s a personal decision and it has nothing to do with anyone else. If you drink or not, turning 21 is still a big deal and you should enjoy it in as many ways as you can. Try some of the things on this list to help celebrate, or come up with some of your own and leave your ideas in the comments below!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Entertainment Articles
Recent Mount Holyoke News Articles
RECENT MOUNT HOLYOKE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
MOST POPULAR MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeBoston CollegeBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityHarvard UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyNortheastern UniversityTufts UniversityClark UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonWorcester State CollegeBentley CollegeWheaton CollegeMount Holyoke CollegeLesley UniversityHolyoke Community CollegeHampshire CollegeSuffolk UniversityWestfield State CollegeUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthWilliams CollegeAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAnna Maria CollegeAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBay Path CollegeBecker CollegeBerklee College of MusicBoston Architectural CollegeBridgewater State CollegeCambridge CollegeElms CollegeCollege of the Holy CrossCurry CollegeDean CollegeEastern Nazarene CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEndicott CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryLasell CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMerrimack CollegeMount Ida CollegeNew England School of LawNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeRegis CollegeSalem State CollegeSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSpringfield CollegeStonehill CollegeThe New England Institute of ArtUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheelock CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteAndover Newton Theological SchoolBenjamin Franklin Institute of TechnologyBerkshire Community College Bristol Community College Bunker Hill Community College Cape Cod Community CollegeGreenfield Community College Massachusetts Bay Community CollegeMassasoit Community College Middlesex Community College (MA)Mount Wachusett Community CollegeNorth Shore Community College Northern Essex Community CollegeQuinsigamond Community College Springfield Technical Community CollegeAilano School of CosmetologyAlexander AcademyAssabet Valley Regional Technical SchoolBancroft School of Massage TherapyBay State School of TechnologyBentley UniversityBlackstone Valley Vocational Regional School DistrictBlue Hills Regional Technical SchoolBoston Baptist CollegeBoston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis IncBranford Hall Career Institute-Springfield CampusCatherine Hinds Institute of EstheticsCharles H McCann Technical SchoolConway School of Landscape DesignCortiva Institute-BostonDiGrigoli School of CosmetologyDiman Regional Technical InstituteEINE IncEmpire Beauty School-BostonEmpire Beauty School-FraminghamEmpire Beauty School-HyannisEmpire Beauty School-LowellEmpire Beauty School-MaldenEpiscopal Divinity SchoolEverest Institute-BrightonEverest Institute-ChelseaFINE Mortuary CollegeFranklin W Olin College of EngineeringGreater Lowell Technical SchoolHallmark Institute of PhotographyHellenic College-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of TheologyHenris School of Hair DesignHult International Business SchoolITT Technical Institute-NorwoodITT Technical Institute-WilmingtonJolie Hair and Beauty Academy-LudlowJupiter Beauty AcademyLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-BrocktonLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-New BedfordLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-CambridgeLincoln Technical Institute-BrocktonLincoln Technical Institute-SomervilleLowell Academy Hairstyling InstituteMansfield Beauty Schools-QuincyMansfield Beauty Schools-SpringfieldMarinello School of Beauty-NorthamptonMassachusetts General Hospital Dietetic InternshipMassachusetts School of LawMedical Professional InstituteMGH Institute of Health ProfessionsMildred Elley-Pittsfield CampusMillennium Training InstituteMontserrat College of ArtMotoring Technical Training InstituteNational Aviation Academy of New EnglandNational Graduate School of Quality ManagementNew England College of Business and FinanceNew England School of AcupunctureNew England Tractor Trailer Training School of MassachusettsNorth Bennet Street SchoolNorthpoint Bible CollegePope St John XXIII National SeminaryPorter and Chester Institute of CantonPorter and Chester Institute of ChicopeePorter and Chester Institute of WestboroughPorter and Chester Institute of WoburnPortfolio Center - WalthamRob Roy Academy-Fall RiverRob Roy Academy-TauntonSalter College-ChicopeeSalter College-West BoylstonSalter School-New BedfordSchool of the Museum of Fine Arts-BostonShawsheen Valley Regional Vocational Technical SchoolSignature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of NursingSoutheastern Technical InstituteSouthern Worcester County Regional Voc School DistrictSpa Tech Institute-IpswichSpa Tech Institute-PlymouthThe New England Conservatory of MusicToni & Guy Hairdressing Academy-WorcesterUniversity of Phoenix-MassachusettsUrban College of Boston
- By State
- By City