How to Burn Calories without Even Trying
During the week, it may seem like all you have time for is studying and sleeping, if you’re lucky. The hours and days just seem to fly by as you sit in front of your computer commenting on facebook about the ten page paper due tomorrow that you haven’t started or mindlessly doodling in the margins of your psychology reading. It makes it very difficult to find time to go to the gym and get in a solid work-out without stressing about the textbooks left unattended in your room. But, did you know that studying can actually burn calories? An average female will burn 670 calories after studying for six hours, while an average male will burn 806 calories! If you are just relaxing and daydreaming at your desk either in class or in your room for six hours, a female can burn up to 383 calories while a male can burn 460 calories. Even showering, brushing your teeth, and styling your hair can burn calories—so keep up with your hygiene! Every little activity you do has the potential to burn calories, and in turn, shed pounds.
To maximize your ability to burn calories without even stepping foot in the gym, keep up with your simple routine, but just add a little extra passion to it!
1) Brush your teeth the recommended 3 minutes. Brushing your teeth for six minutes a day can burn 15 calories for an average female and 18 for a male. In just one month of brushing, you have burned about two slices of Boston crème pie! If you want an extra big slice, invest in a tooth tunes toothbrush and dance along to songs like Black Eyed Peas’ “I Gotta Feeling” like no one is watching, although I gotta feeling that your entire dorm will be.
2) Take the Stairs. I know they can seem awfully steep and intimidating after a long day of class, but 30 minutes of stair climbing is equivalent to 243 and 293 burnt calories for an average female and male, respectively. Getting to the top will never feel more rewarding!
3) Speed Walk to Class. After finally finishing your paper, you might be running a bit late anyway, so use your irresponsibility to your advantage to entice you to speed walk or even run to class. An hour of speed walking is equivalent to the loss of 311 or 374 calories for average women or men.
4) Shower. Please do this whether you are interested in burning calories or not…but one positive outcome of doing this (besides not repelling your classmates) is an average female can burn 85 calories while an average male can burn 102. To burn a few more: scrub your hair with some extra vigor, shake out the last drop of shampoo (the movement and distribution of shampoo in the bottle while you shake it works and tones your arms almost like the shake weight, almost…maybe), and of course dancing is always an option—just watch your elbows inside the 2×2 cube!
5) Clean your Room. Not only will your parents be impressed when they come to visit, but you can burn some major calories. Mopping for an hour can burn 271 calories for an average female and 326 for an average male; rearranging furniture for thirty minutes can burn 200 or 240 calories; and standing and admiring your work for twenty minutes can burn 24 or 29! Need more to clean? Ask your friends if they want to pay you to clean and feng shui their rooms.
To calculate how many calories you burn every day, whether you are just doing your day to day activities or training for marathons, check out this Calorie Burn Calculator from Health Status. I used this tool to estimate the calories burned for each activity based on the average weights and heights of the average male and female.
Find out how many more calories you can burn just by doing more of what you already do!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Health Articles
Recent Mount Holyoke News Articles
RECENT MOUNT HOLYOKE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
- Martin Luther King Jr. and His Legacy
- What Do Students Look for in a Job Environment?
- What Do Students Expect Out of Property Managers?
- Types of Shows/Events You Should Go to as a College Student
- Tallahassee has its own "Dakota Access pipeline"
- What Are You Reading?
- Drink Coffee Like A Tallahassee Local: 8 Coffee Shops You Can’t Miss
MOST POPULAR MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeBoston CollegeBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityHarvard UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyNortheastern UniversityTufts UniversityClark UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonWorcester State CollegeBentley CollegeWheaton CollegeMount Holyoke CollegeLesley UniversityHolyoke Community CollegeHampshire CollegeSuffolk UniversityWestfield State CollegeUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthWilliams CollegeAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAnna Maria CollegeAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBay Path CollegeBecker CollegeBerklee College of MusicBoston Architectural CollegeBridgewater State CollegeCambridge CollegeElms CollegeCollege of the Holy CrossCurry CollegeDean CollegeEastern Nazarene CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEndicott CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryLasell CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMerrimack CollegeMount Ida CollegeNew England School of LawNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeRegis CollegeSalem State CollegeSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSpringfield CollegeStonehill CollegeThe New England Institute of ArtUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheelock CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteAndover Newton Theological SchoolBenjamin Franklin Institute of TechnologyBerkshire Community College Bristol Community College Bunker Hill Community College Cape Cod Community CollegeGreenfield Community College Massachusetts Bay Community CollegeMassasoit Community College Middlesex Community College (MA)Mount Wachusett Community CollegeNorth Shore Community College Northern Essex Community CollegeQuinsigamond Community College Springfield Technical Community CollegeAilano School of CosmetologyAlexander AcademyAssabet Valley Regional Technical SchoolBancroft School of Massage TherapyBay State School of TechnologyBentley UniversityBlackstone Valley Vocational Regional School DistrictBlue Hills Regional Technical SchoolBoston Baptist CollegeBoston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis IncBranford Hall Career Institute-Springfield CampusCatherine Hinds Institute of EstheticsCharles H McCann Technical SchoolConway School of Landscape DesignCortiva Institute-BostonDiGrigoli School of CosmetologyDiman Regional Technical InstituteEINE IncEmpire Beauty School-BostonEmpire Beauty School-FraminghamEmpire Beauty School-HyannisEmpire Beauty School-LowellEmpire Beauty School-MaldenEpiscopal Divinity SchoolEverest Institute-BrightonEverest Institute-ChelseaFINE Mortuary CollegeFranklin W Olin College of EngineeringGreater Lowell Technical SchoolHallmark Institute of PhotographyHellenic College-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of TheologyHenris School of Hair DesignHult International Business SchoolITT Technical Institute-NorwoodITT Technical Institute-WilmingtonJolie Hair and Beauty Academy-LudlowJupiter Beauty AcademyLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-BrocktonLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-New BedfordLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-CambridgeLincoln Technical Institute-BrocktonLincoln Technical Institute-SomervilleLowell Academy Hairstyling InstituteMansfield Beauty Schools-QuincyMansfield Beauty Schools-SpringfieldMarinello School of Beauty-NorthamptonMassachusetts General Hospital Dietetic InternshipMassachusetts School of LawMedical Professional InstituteMGH Institute of Health ProfessionsMildred Elley-Pittsfield CampusMillennium Training InstituteMontserrat College of ArtMotoring Technical Training InstituteNational Aviation Academy of New EnglandNational Graduate School of Quality ManagementNew England College of Business and FinanceNew England School of AcupunctureNew England Tractor Trailer Training School of MassachusettsNorth Bennet Street SchoolNorthpoint Bible CollegePope St John XXIII National SeminaryPorter and Chester Institute of CantonPorter and Chester Institute of ChicopeePorter and Chester Institute of WestboroughPorter and Chester Institute of WoburnPortfolio Center - WalthamRob Roy Academy-Fall RiverRob Roy Academy-TauntonSalter College-ChicopeeSalter College-West BoylstonSalter School-New BedfordSchool of the Museum of Fine Arts-BostonShawsheen Valley Regional Vocational Technical SchoolSignature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of NursingSoutheastern Technical InstituteSouthern Worcester County Regional Voc School DistrictSpa Tech Institute-IpswichSpa Tech Institute-PlymouthThe New England Conservatory of MusicToni & Guy Hairdressing Academy-WorcesterUniversity of Phoenix-MassachusettsUrban College of Boston
- By State
- By City