How to Burn Calories without Even Trying
During the week, it may seem like all you have time for is studying and sleeping, if you’re lucky. The hours and days just seem to fly by as you sit in front of your computer commenting on facebook about the ten page paper due tomorrow that you haven’t started or mindlessly doodling in the margins of your psychology reading. It makes it very difficult to find time to go to the gym and get in a solid work-out without stressing about the textbooks left unattended in your room. But, did you know that studying can actually burn calories? An average female will burn 670 calories after studying for six hours, while an average male will burn 806 calories! If you are just relaxing and daydreaming at your desk either in class or in your room for six hours, a female can burn up to 383 calories while a male can burn 460 calories. Even showering, brushing your teeth, and styling your hair can burn calories—so keep up with your hygiene! Every little activity you do has the potential to burn calories, and in turn, shed pounds.
To maximize your ability to burn calories without even stepping foot in the gym, keep up with your simple routine, but just add a little extra passion to it!
1) Brush your teeth the recommended 3 minutes. Brushing your teeth for six minutes a day can burn 15 calories for an average female and 18 for a male. In just one month of brushing, you have burned about two slices of Boston crème pie! If you want an extra big slice, invest in a tooth tunes toothbrush and dance along to songs like Black Eyed Peas’ “I Gotta Feeling” like no one is watching, although I gotta feeling that your entire dorm will be.
2) Take the Stairs. I know they can seem awfully steep and intimidating after a long day of class, but 30 minutes of stair climbing is equivalent to 243 and 293 burnt calories for an average female and male, respectively. Getting to the top will never feel more rewarding!
3) Speed Walk to Class. After finally finishing your paper, you might be running a bit late anyway, so use your irresponsibility to your advantage to entice you to speed walk or even run to class. An hour of speed walking is equivalent to the loss of 311 or 374 calories for average women or men.
4) Shower. Please do this whether you are interested in burning calories or not…but one positive outcome of doing this (besides not repelling your classmates) is an average female can burn 85 calories while an average male can burn 102. To burn a few more: scrub your hair with some extra vigor, shake out the last drop of shampoo (the movement and distribution of shampoo in the bottle while you shake it works and tones your arms almost like the shake weight, almost…maybe), and of course dancing is always an option—just watch your elbows inside the 2×2 cube!
5) Clean your Room. Not only will your parents be impressed when they come to visit, but you can burn some major calories. Mopping for an hour can burn 271 calories for an average female and 326 for an average male; rearranging furniture for thirty minutes can burn 200 or 240 calories; and standing and admiring your work for twenty minutes can burn 24 or 29! Need more to clean? Ask your friends if they want to pay you to clean and feng shui their rooms.
To calculate how many calories you burn every day, whether you are just doing your day to day activities or training for marathons, check out this Calorie Burn Calculator from Health Status. I used this tool to estimate the calories burned for each activity based on the average weights and heights of the average male and female.
Find out how many more calories you can burn just by doing more of what you already do!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Health Articles
Recent Mount Holyoke News Articles
RECENT MOUNT HOLYOKE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
- Coping Methods for When You’re Feeling Down
- College Students Are Unsatisfied With the Presidential Candidates
- 5 Things You Need to Know Before UConn's Game Against UCF
- 7 Tasty Miami Restaurants Under $10
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Register To Vote
- Tallahassee Museum's Annual Halloween Howl
- Dear Trump and Lahren: Words Are NOT Just Words
MOST POPULAR MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAilano School of CosmetologyAlexander AcademyAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAndover Newton Theological SchoolAnna Maria CollegeAssabet Valley Regional Technical SchoolAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBancroft School of Massage TherapyBay Path CollegeBay State School of TechnologyBecker CollegeBenjamin Franklin Institute of TechnologyBentley CollegeBentley UniversityBerklee College of MusicBerkshire Community College Blackstone Valley Vocational Regional School DistrictBlue Hills Regional Technical SchoolBoston Architectural CollegeBoston Baptist CollegeBoston CollegeBoston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis IncBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityBranford Hall Career Institute-Springfield CampusBridgewater State CollegeBristol Community College Bunker Hill Community College Cambridge CollegeCape Cod Community CollegeCatherine Hinds Institute of EstheticsCharles H McCann Technical SchoolClark UniversityCollege of the Holy CrossConway School of Landscape DesignCortiva Institute-BostonCurry CollegeDean CollegeDiGrigoli School of CosmetologyDiman Regional Technical InstituteEastern Nazarene CollegeEINE IncElms CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEmpire Beauty School-BostonEmpire Beauty School-FraminghamEmpire Beauty School-HyannisEmpire Beauty School-LowellEmpire Beauty School-MaldenEndicott CollegeEpiscopal Divinity SchoolEverest Institute-BrightonEverest Institute-ChelseaFINE Mortuary CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeFranklin W Olin College of EngineeringGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryGreater Lowell Technical SchoolGreenfield Community College Hallmark Institute of PhotographyHampshire CollegeHarvard UniversityHellenic College-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of TheologyHenris School of Hair DesignHolyoke Community CollegeHult International Business SchoolITT Technical Institute-NorwoodITT Technical Institute-WilmingtonJolie Hair and Beauty Academy-LudlowJupiter Beauty AcademyLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-BrocktonLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-New BedfordLasell CollegeLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-CambridgeLesley UniversityLincoln Technical Institute-BrocktonLincoln Technical Institute-SomervilleLowell Academy Hairstyling InstituteMansfield Beauty Schools-QuincyMansfield Beauty Schools-SpringfieldMarinello School of Beauty-NorthamptonMassachusetts Bay Community CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts General Hospital Dietetic InternshipMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMassachusetts School of LawMassasoit Community College Medical Professional InstituteMerrimack CollegeMGH Institute of Health ProfessionsMiddlesex Community College (MA)Mildred Elley-Pittsfield CampusMillennium Training InstituteMontserrat College of ArtMotoring Technical Training InstituteMount Holyoke CollegeMount Ida CollegeMount Wachusett Community CollegeNational Aviation Academy of New EnglandNational Graduate School of Quality ManagementNew England College of Business and FinanceNew England School of AcupunctureNew England School of LawNew England Tractor Trailer Training School of MassachusettsNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeNorth Bennet Street SchoolNorth Shore Community College Northeastern UniversityNorthern Essex Community CollegeNorthpoint Bible CollegePope St John XXIII National SeminaryPorter and Chester Institute of CantonPorter and Chester Institute of ChicopeePorter and Chester Institute of WestboroughPorter and Chester Institute of WoburnPortfolio Center - WalthamQuinsigamond Community College Regis CollegeRob Roy Academy-Fall RiverRob Roy Academy-TauntonSalem State CollegeSalter College-ChicopeeSalter College-West BoylstonSalter School-New BedfordSchool of the Museum of Fine Arts-BostonShawsheen Valley Regional Vocational Technical SchoolSignature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of NursingSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSoutheastern Technical InstituteSouthern Worcester County Regional Voc School DistrictSpa Tech Institute-IpswichSpa Tech Institute-PlymouthSpringfield CollegeSpringfield Technical Community CollegeStonehill CollegeSuffolk UniversityThe New England Conservatory of MusicThe New England Institute of ArtToni & Guy Hairdressing Academy-WorcesterTufts UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Phoenix-MassachusettsUrban College of BostonWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheaton CollegeWheelock CollegeWilliams CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteWorcester State College
- By State
- By City