Repellent at Night to Avoid the Bite (Precautions about West Nile Virus Breakouts)
West Nile virus has had a recent breakout in Massachusetts causing an added necessity for safety precautions. When you go out this upcoming weekend make sure you bring along your bug spray because this virus can be deadly.
After local schools canceled evening events and my own college sent out warnings, I decided to do a little research about the virus. West Nile virus was first identified in 1937 in Uganda in eastern Africa. This disease, transmitted by mosquitos, can produce mild to serious symptoms. Because West Nile is a type of flavivirus, it is part of an extremely dangerous group of RNA viruses. In this family are viruses which cause diseases such as dengue, yellow fever, and Japanese encaphilitis.
It was first discovered in the United States in the summer of 1999 in New York. However, as of September 2012, a total of 2,636 cases of West Nile virus disease in people, including 118 deaths, have been reported to the Center for Disease Control. Virus symptoms can vary as I said previously. These symptoms can range from headaches to stiff neck to muscle weakness. Most people infected with West Nile virus do not show symptoms; however, about 20 percent will show symptoms. Less than 1 percent of infected patients will show serious symptoms, signifying a neurological infection. Full lists of symptoms can be found on websites such as the Center for Disease Control and PubMed Health.
It is important that you know how to protect yourself from this threat. Bug spray containing DEET is your best bet when it comes to repelling mosquitos. It is also a good idea to stay away from areas of still water during dusk, dawn and early evening hours. Mosquitos breed in still water so many researchers suggest changing or emptying areas such as bird baths, pools and water gardens if West Nile infested mosquitos are at high capacity in your surroundings. Also, wear long sleeve and pant layers when outside for long amounts of time, especially around still water or in late evening hours.
Certain factors will increase the risk of West Nile virus being more serious in your body if you contract it. These factors include age, immune health and pregnancy. If you are above the age of 50, you have a heightened risk. This factor also applies to newborns and infants. If you suffer from HIV or another immune deficiency disease, your change of having a serious case of West Nile is also increased. Finally, pregnant women have an extremely high risk factor and should take all precautions possible.
Until next time, protect yourself from bugs because West Nile bites!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Health Articles
Recent Mount Holyoke News Articles
RECENT MOUNT HOLYOKE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
- Chance the Rapper's New "Independent" Hustle
- A Small Go-To-Guide for Curly/Wavy Haired People
- Off the Beaten Path Tallahassee
- This "Small Size Only" Clothing Brand is an Extra Large Problem
- Terraforming Mars To Build A New Earth
- CrossFit for a Cause: The Murph Challenge
- 5 Books To Read Before Going To College
MOST POPULAR MOUNT HOLYOKE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeBoston CollegeBoston UniversityBrandeis UniversityHarvard UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-AmherstMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyNortheastern UniversityTufts UniversityClark UniversityUniversity of Massachusetts-LowellUniversity of Massachusetts-BostonWorcester State CollegeBentley CollegeWheaton CollegeMount Holyoke CollegeLesley UniversityHolyoke Community CollegeHampshire CollegeSuffolk UniversityWestfield State CollegeUniversity of Massachusetts DartmouthWilliams CollegeAmerican International CollegeAmherst CollegeAnna Maria CollegeAssumption CollegeBabson CollegeBay Path CollegeBecker CollegeBerklee College of MusicBoston Architectural CollegeBridgewater State CollegeCambridge CollegeElms CollegeCollege of the Holy CrossCurry CollegeDean CollegeEastern Nazarene CollegeEmerson CollegeEmmanuel CollegeEndicott CollegeFisher CollegeFitchburg State CollegeFramingham State CollegeGordon CollegeGordon-Conwell Theological SeminaryLasell CollegeMassachusetts College of Art and DesignMassachusetts College of Liberal ArtsMassachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health ScienceMassachusetts Maritime AcademyMerrimack CollegeMount Ida CollegeNew England School of LawNewbury CollegeNichols CollegeRegis CollegeSalem State CollegeSimmons CollegeSmith CollegeSpringfield CollegeStonehill CollegeThe New England Institute of ArtUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School WorcesterWellesley CollegeWentworth Institute of TechnologyWestern New England CollegeWestfield State CollegeWheelock CollegeWorcester Polytechnic InstituteAndover Newton Theological SchoolBenjamin Franklin Institute of TechnologyBerkshire Community College Bristol Community College Bunker Hill Community College Cape Cod Community CollegeGreenfield Community College Massachusetts Bay Community CollegeMassasoit Community College Middlesex Community College (MA)Mount Wachusett Community CollegeNorth Shore Community College Northern Essex Community CollegeQuinsigamond Community College Springfield Technical Community CollegeAilano School of CosmetologyAlexander AcademyAssabet Valley Regional Technical SchoolBancroft School of Massage TherapyBay State School of TechnologyBentley UniversityBlackstone Valley Vocational Regional School DistrictBlue Hills Regional Technical SchoolBoston Baptist CollegeBoston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis IncBranford Hall Career Institute-Springfield CampusCatherine Hinds Institute of EstheticsCharles H McCann Technical SchoolConway School of Landscape DesignCortiva Institute-BostonDiGrigoli School of CosmetologyDiman Regional Technical InstituteEINE IncEmpire Beauty School-BostonEmpire Beauty School-FraminghamEmpire Beauty School-HyannisEmpire Beauty School-LowellEmpire Beauty School-MaldenEpiscopal Divinity SchoolEverest Institute-BrightonEverest Institute-ChelseaFINE Mortuary CollegeFranklin W Olin College of EngineeringGreater Lowell Technical SchoolHallmark Institute of PhotographyHellenic College-Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of TheologyHenris School of Hair DesignHult International Business SchoolITT Technical Institute-NorwoodITT Technical Institute-WilmingtonJolie Hair and Beauty Academy-LudlowJupiter Beauty AcademyLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-BrocktonLa Baron Hairdressing Academy-New BedfordLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-CambridgeLincoln Technical Institute-BrocktonLincoln Technical Institute-SomervilleLowell Academy Hairstyling InstituteMansfield Beauty Schools-QuincyMansfield Beauty Schools-SpringfieldMarinello School of Beauty-NorthamptonMassachusetts General Hospital Dietetic InternshipMassachusetts School of LawMedical Professional InstituteMGH Institute of Health ProfessionsMildred Elley-Pittsfield CampusMillennium Training InstituteMontserrat College of ArtMotoring Technical Training InstituteNational Aviation Academy of New EnglandNational Graduate School of Quality ManagementNew England College of Business and FinanceNew England School of AcupunctureNew England Tractor Trailer Training School of MassachusettsNorth Bennet Street SchoolNorthpoint Bible CollegePope St John XXIII National SeminaryPorter and Chester Institute of CantonPorter and Chester Institute of ChicopeePorter and Chester Institute of WestboroughPorter and Chester Institute of WoburnPortfolio Center - WalthamRob Roy Academy-Fall RiverRob Roy Academy-TauntonSalter College-ChicopeeSalter College-West BoylstonSalter School-New BedfordSchool of the Museum of Fine Arts-BostonShawsheen Valley Regional Vocational Technical SchoolSignature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of NursingSoutheastern Technical InstituteSouthern Worcester County Regional Voc School DistrictSpa Tech Institute-IpswichSpa Tech Institute-PlymouthThe New England Conservatory of MusicToni & Guy Hairdressing Academy-WorcesterUniversity of Phoenix-MassachusettsUrban College of Boston
- By State
- By City